1809 The Gloucester and Cheltenham Railway formed.
1824 The Great Western Railway proposed.
1835 Great Western Railway Act passed.
Cheltenham and Great Western Union Railway proposed.
1836 CGWUR act passed.
1838 Construction of the line began.
Act obtained for new Sapperton tunnel proposal and extension of building dead-line.
1841 Opening of the line from Swindon to Cirencester.
1842 Act passed for sale or lease of the line.
1843 Sale of the CGWUR to the GWR.
1844 Act passed sanctioning the sale.
Standish to Gloucester section opened.
Sapperton to Kemble line completed.
1845 Sapperton tunnel completed.
The complete line open from Kemble to Gloucester.
Gauge Commission visited Gloucester.
1846 Gauge Commission reported.
Avoiding Line closed.
1852 Gloucester station building completed.
1854 New line for Midland Railway laid between Standish and Gloucester.
1859 Closure of the Gloucester and Cheltenham plate tramway.
Replacement of the timber viaducts in the Stroud valley.
1867 Stonehouse and Nailsworth Railway opened.
1872 The line converted to standard gauge.
1882 Kemble opened as a public station.
1889 Tetbury branch opened.
1897 Chalford station opened.
1898 Jefferies sidings at Ebley opened.
1901 Avoiding Line re-opens as the Cheltenham Loop.
1903 Railmotors introduced.
1905 GWR buses arrive in Stroud.
1908 Tetbury Road renamed Coates.
Malvern Road station opens.
1919 Chalford railmotor shed destroyed by fire.
1923 Cheltenham Spa Express introduced.
1929 Oaksey Halt opened.
1932 Record breaking run by the "Cheltenham Flyer".
1943 Bremell sidings opened near Swindon.
1947 Stonehouse and Nailsworth Railway closed to passengers.
1956 Culkerton station closed.
1959 Steam replaced on the Cirencester and Tetbury branches by railbuses.
Opening of halts on the line.
1964 Tetbury and Cirencester branches closed.
Swindon to Kemble service withdrawn and intermediate stations and halt closed.
Chalford railcar withdrawn, station and halts not served by expresses closed.
Churchdown and Malvern Road closed.
1966 Cheltenham Spa St James' closed.
1968 Standish to Gloucester section reduced to double track.
Swindon to Kemble reduced to single track.
1975 Gloucester Eastgate and Barton street loop closed
1976 Stonehouse station rebuilt
1977 Gloucester Central rebuilt
2104 Re doubling of the track between Swindon and Kemble